If you happen to be in an unavoidable car accident in North Carolina, there is nothing that you can do about what happened already. However, after the accident, you can concentrate on what you need to do next.
There are several things that you should do after an accident. The following checklist should help you to ensure that nothing falls through the cracks after you have experienced a car accident that involves another driver or drivers. If you have a car accident:
- Stop your car in a place that is safe.
- If your car is not in a safe place, you should move it if at all possible so that you prevent any further damage to your vehicle from occurring.
- Contact the police as soon as possible, particularly if there are any injuries or the accident was caused by a hit-and-run driver.
- Take the other driver’s information, such as name, address, phone number, license plate number, driver’s license number and information on the other driver’s insurance.
- Write down the other driver’s insurance company name and policy number exactly as it is written on their proof of insurance card.
- Gather the names, addresses and phone numbers of any witnesses to the accident.
- You should not be amenable to forgetting about the accident because you may have damages of which you are not yet aware. Once those come to light, you may have to end up pursuing legal action.
- If you are uncertain in any way about any aspect of the claims process, contact your insurance agent, who can help you to fill out the necessary forms and documents.
Seeking the right legal advice from a North Carolina attorney
If you have been in a car accident and you were injured or your car was damaged because of the actions of a negligent driver, solid legal advice from an experienced North Carolina car accident attorney may make a tremendous difference to your case. Even if you are not thinking in terms of compensation, your attorney can help you to pursue what is right and what is just so that the compensation that you will be awarded will help you to meet your financial obligations and work your way back to having the comfortable and healthy life that you enjoyed before the accident.